Skylights are the fenestration used for light transmission forming the entire or part of the roof of a building, and it is mainly made for daylighting purposes. These were first used in ancient Roman architecture, but today are seen in many houses following “green techniques” to save electricity in the morning.so here we have tips for clean skylights
However, these skylights are open to dirt, dust, pollution, wind, and everything that can make them dirty. Preserve the enchanting view offered by your skylight with proper maintenance, which can be easily done by following some tips. You should, however, hire professional cleaners at least twice a year to clean skylights.
Tips for Clean Skylights
Tips for clean skylights with step by step procedure
- Remove all furnishings and the screen from the skylight before beginning the process of cleaning.
- Use a few towels or ground cloth to catch the drips.
- Buy a squeegee or an expandable mop to make cleaning easy.
- For your convenience, use a ladder for cleaning purposes. While using the ladder, take proper precautions and be careful.
- In a bucket full of water, say about a gallon, add ammonia (1/4 cup) and a pinch of dish liquid soap. An alternative method is using a mixture of white vinegar (1/2 cup) and organic detergent (1 tablespoon in powdered form). To avoid any deposition of minerals, distilled water is preferred.
- After soaking the mop in the cleaning mixture, the excess liquid should be wrung out before cleaning the skylight. For slanting skylights, begin the cleaning process from its peak and move downwards.
- In case of a new squeegee, clean it scrupulously before commencing the cleaning process to prevent streaks from being left behind. Make the squeegee slightly moist to prevent it from skittering. Start the cleaning process from right to left and lap over each stroke. Clean the squeegee in between strokes.
- Use a lint-free towel and cover the squeegee to catch the drips. Use a cotton towel in the case of Plexiglas or plastic skylights instead of a microfibre cloth to prevent scraping.
- Clean the outer part of the skylight following the same steps after climbing onto the roof of the skylight safely.
Some More Suggestions
- The first time a skylight is cleaned, the shielding film on it will produce strips due to cleaning. Continue the process of cleaning till the glass is devoid of those streak marks.
- Kitchen skylights are greasy, oily, and certainly dirtier. In such cases, a stronger solution is required, which can be obtained by adding vinegar or ammonia to the cleaning solution.
- Only apply a cleaning solution with the sponge mop. Avoid spraying a cleaner as it can trickle down to the breathing space.
- The solution may drip on you while you clean, so consider shielding your eyes.
- You can cut a hole in an umbrella and attach it upside-down to the mop handle to catch the water as it is applied.
- Ventilate the area well, and consider wearing gloves and goggles when using ammonia.
Thus you can see to keep your skylights prim and shining; they should be meticulously cleaned at least twice a year. Follow the above-mentioned tips for cleaning for desirable results.